Sunday, April 7, 2013

Potluck Churn Dash

1-IMG_9782

This quilt came about through two extra churn dash blocks I made last month for Stash Bee.  A friend had a baby girl, and originally I thought I’d make her a star quilt, but then I got to thinking I’d use these blocks to make something bright and colorful.

1-IMG_9222

I started with the orange and aqua block and put the other one aside to use for something else.  I decided to use some of my Denyse Schmidt fabrics for the other blocks.  Rachel at Stitched in Color is hosting a Shelbourne Falls Contest, so I incorporated a few of those fabrics into it. 

1-IMG_9799

Once the quilt was 3 x 3 blocks, which was a good size for a baby quilt, it didn’t feel right to me.  Was this going to be the ugliest quilt ever, or just colorful?  At this point my husband gave it a thumbs down and I decided I’ll just go with my original idea to make a star quilt for my friend’s baby and keep this one, just in case it doesn’t turn out like I had hoped.  I added another row of blocks to make it a little bigger so my youngest daughter could use it on her bed.

1-IMG_9788

A lot of the fabrics are Denyse Schmidt, with a few Anna Maria Horner and an Amy Butler print thrown in.  The back is an AMH print from Innocent Crush that all my daughters really love.  I pieced together the rest of the back from leftover fabric.

1-IMG_9790

The quilting is a criss-cross on the diagonal—I marked it with masking tape and used 50 wt. pink Aurifil thread.

1-IMG_9777

The binding is a Notting Hill print.

1-IMG_9769

So, is it an ugly quilt or just colorful?  It has a vintage vibe to it that I really dig, but I honestly don’t know!

1-IMG_9797

26 comments:

  1. I like it! Colourful and pretty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's awesome! Super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it is ugly at all! I really like it with all those colors/fabrics/prints!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so pretty! I love churn dash quilts, and these fabrics are lovely in a churn dash pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely! the first thing I thought before I started reading was how nice it is to see a unique original color scheme. mixing lines and collections makes it really vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to mention that I really like your new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has a vintage meets modern look/feel to it. All those colors and prints make you want to take a closer look ! Love that AMH print too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out lovely! Doing those blocks last month and seeing your bright colors is making me want to do one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful! It's colorful, yes, but it has a lovely vintage look to it. It would a perfect baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this quilt! Your fabric combinations are inspired and work so brilliantly with the churn dash blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sort of a vintage look...it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I say gorgeous! Vintages and modern, with some of my favorite fabrics. I like it when a quilt has a lot to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it. Totally has a scrappy look! I'd be happy to receive it as a baby gift =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a little busy, but I like it! You've inspired me to consider making one or two myself as baby gifts, but maybe with a touch more contrast to ease some of the business? I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ha! ha! you're so funny Jamie. I don't think it's ugly, it's busy and sort of scrappy (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  16. It totally works. I saw it on Pinterest and love it! I like unconventional mixes of fabrics; adding some DS was smart!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you have created a unique and fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think your quilt is a colorful and scrappy. Your right it does have a vintage feel. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. no ugly here-very nice and a fantastic array of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. O.M.Goodness---I am seriously in love with this quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love it, right up my alley that is, all scrappy with attitude!! I might just have to have a go at one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so gorgeous, Jamie Lee! I love a churn dash, and these are so colorful and yummy. :) Your elephant mug rugs are sooo cute, too. Have a great weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful quilt.....I am now inspired to make one just as colourful...It's so original, I love it, thanks for sharing ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Some days the only adult I talk to is my husband...help him keep his sanity by leaving a comment so I have another adult to talk sewing with:) I will make sure to reply!